STOP C.R.A.C.K. IN ITS TRACKS!
CWPE supports communities, activists, and public health advocates to stop C.R.A.C.K. in its tracks. Below is a list of actions you can take to build an opposition to C.R.A.C.K. in your community. Click here for a more comprehensive list of action steps. For more information and support to build a resistance to C.R.A.C.K., please contact us.
- Find out C.R.A.C.K.’s targeting strategies.
- Organize an opposition committee with friends or people who also oppose C.R.A.C.K..
- Create a "Local Statement of Opposition" that community members can sign.
- Collect information and create a C.R.A.C.K. PACK to easily distribute info about C.R.A.C,K.
- Build Coalitions! Once you find that C.R.A.C.K. has come to your neighborhood or city and have prepared to establish a grassroots base, the next step should be contacting and visiting organizations that serve the people whose communities are targeted by C.R.A.C.K..
- Circulate a press release on your statement and local opposition to C.R.A.C.K. to area media and press.
- Don’t let any articles on C.R.A.C.K. in local media go unanswered.
- Show up at C.R.A.C.K.’s press conference. Let the press know that there are opposing voices in your community.
- Keep a Barbara Harris Watch. Strategize to counter Barbara Harris, founder of C.R.A.C.K. , at her speaking venues by writing letters to urge conference planners to provide opposing viewpoints, and by protesting C.R.A.C.K. at these events.
- Remove all and any C.R.A.C.K. ads or flyers. C.R.A.C.K. is more likely to place their ads and flyers on public spaces like lamp posts, bus stops, on the store front of drug treatment centers, needles exchanges, homeless shelters, public hospitals that serve a majority of poor clients.
- Create anti-C.R.A.C.K. stickers and stick them directly on C.R.A.C.K. propaganda in your neighborhood. Messages like "DON’T let C.R.A.C.K. convince you that your children have no value" and "C.R.A.C.K. is rooted in racism" seem to get a lot of people’s attention.
- Sponsor a conversation or "tea party" so that you can invite some of your friends or other folks who may be open to hearing why it is critical to oppose C.R.A.C.K. over for some information and strategy discussions.
- Organize a sidewalk chalk campaign down some popular city or neighborhood streets with points on why it is critical to oppose C.R.A.C.K..
- Support funding for mental health programs, drug treatment, and services to poor women.
- Advocate for drug treatment programs for pregnant women and for the inclusion in prenatal care.
Fact Sheet On C.R.A.C.K. / Positive Prevention, by Theryn Kigvamasud’Vashti
Actions You Can Take To Oppose C.R.A.C.K. In Your Neighborhood
American Public Health Association Position Statement on C.R.A.C.K.
Download Anti-C.R.A.C.K. stickers
Order Anti-C.R.A.C.K. Posters From INCITE!
Sign On To The National Opposition To C.R.A.C.K.
More information? Visit the C.R.A.C.K. section on our Health and Reproductive Justice Resources page.